Are your missing teeth affecting your smile? Your dentist in Los Altos, CA provides dental implants in a caring dental environment.
Dental implants have revolutionized how we replace missing teeth and they address key long term oral health problems after tooth loss. Dental implants replace not only the visible portion or crown of the tooth but also the tooth root beneath the gums. This provides both structural and aesthetic benefits for your smile. If you have lost one or more teeth, dental implants can be used to replace the single tooth or to permanently secure a bridge or denture. The result is a secure, natural-looking smile that feels like it has always been there. Dr. Ken Schweifler is a restorative dentist in Los Altos who works with patients on an individual basis to replace teeth using all types of dental implants.
Dr. Schweifler has developed strong professional relationships with local specialists that are highly skilled and experienced in successfully placing dental implants. Once the surgeon places an implant or implants, these areas must be left alone to heal over several months. After implants have osseointegrated (bone adjacent to the implant fuses to it), Dr. Schweifler begins the restorative process.
Dental Implant vs Dental Bridge: what to consider
Implants can be the ideal option when a single tooth is lost. Traditionally, fixed bridges were fabricated to replace a single tooth, but these restorations require the aggressive crown preparation of the adjacent teeth. If there is a subsequent issue with one of those anchoring teeth, the entire bridge might be lost and the patient might be facing another, more extensive procedure. In addition, the bone beneath the lost tooth continues to dissolve away and patients with fixed bridgework tend to struggle to keep these areas free of plaque and food, rendering the supportive teeth more vulnerable to gum disease and tooth decay.
Why Choose Dental Implants in Los Altos, CA?
Dental implants may be the perfect solution for your tooth replacement needs and the benefits they offer will support your long term oral health and overall quality of life.
- Reduces bone loss in the lower jaw: the implanted post serves as a prosthetic tooth root, stabilizing surrounding bone tissue and allowing normal chewing forces which stimulate healthy bone cell growth.
- Restores normal chewing and speech: your new implant functions much like a natural tooth and enables you to chew all types of foods and speak more clearly and confidently.
- Long term result: a dental implant is designed to last a lifetime with proper dental care and good oral hygiene.
- No daily adhesives: dental implants do not need adhesives to stay in place.
- Does not irritate the gums and soft tissues: with traditional dentures and other types of oral appliances, over time many patients experience discomfort due to the effects of slight movement or slippage. This can irritate the gums and increase the incidence of gum disease. Dental implants do not move or cause long term irritation of the gums, but remain securely in place.
Am I a candidate for dental implants?
Today, most patients can be considered a candidate for dental implants and implant-supported dentures. There is a variety of types and sizes of implants and procedures available to address compromised jaw bone or soft tissue structure. Dr. Schweifler will work with you to create a personalized treatment plan that addresses your oral health and cosmetic needs and goals.
Schedule An Implant Consultation
If you have one or more missing teeth and would like to schedule an implant consultation with Dr. Schweifler, contact our Los Altos dentist office at (650) 489-4620. We welcome new patients from Santa Clara County and surrounding communities. Dr. Schweifler can provide personalized dental care and second opinions as well.