If you are experiencing a dental emergency please contact our Los Altos dentist office as soon as possible. We will make every effort to see you the same day, if considered necessary. We welcome new patients who have a dental emergency and are in need of dental care.
Call (650) 489-4620.
Dental emergencies can occur at the most inopportune time, even despite diligent dental care and oral hygiene. Dr. Schweifler will assess your immediate needs and provide appropriate care to resolve damage and discomfort. Common dental emergencies can include:
- Sudden tooth pain: sudden, sharp or throbbing pain in or around a tooth can have a range of possible causes including infection. It is important to contact our office for an appointment as soon as possible for evaluation.
- Chipped tooth: if a tooth becomes chipped or broken for any reason it should be repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage and even tooth loss.
- Knocked out tooth: when a tooth is knocked out it should be recovered if possible and placed in a container of milk or held between the tongue and cheek while in transit to our office. In some cases, it can be successfully placed back into the socket if treated immediately and there is minimal or no damage to the root.
There are other more subtle signs of a developing dental problem that if recognized and addressed early can prevent a sudden emergency situation. These can include:
- Bleeding or swollen gums: a common sign of gingivitis, gums that bleed or have become swollen may indicate an infection beneath the surface or around a tooth root.
- Changes in the color of a tooth: a tooth that is becoming noticeably discolored or gray in appearance should be seen for possible infection within the inner pulp.
- Increasing sensitivity to temperature: if hot or cold foods and beverages are suddenly causing discomfort we should evaluate your dental health for a developing problem such as decay.